Updating your Details

If you change your name, address or telephone number, please let our Receptionists know by calling in to the Health Centre or writing to us.  Confirmation of all changes is required.  This can include a Payslip, DWP letter, Utility Bill or other similar type of document.  For patients under 16 years of age all changes must be undertaken by the Parent or Guardian and confirmed as appropriate.

If you move outside the Practice boundary you will need to find a Doctor in your new area.  There are instructions on what to do when you move to a new area on the back of your NHS medical card.